Dec 15, 2014

The Catch 22 of Volunteering

What's more relatable?  Finding a cause or being found by a cause?
Is the following scenario statement valid?
Claiming to be involved as a volunteer projects an image of a holy high roller. 

'These people show up like they're saving [us] or something. I don't have time to babysit or police these adult rejects, trying to reinvent themselves by serving once a month at this transition center.  All they want is a pat on the back for doing what they should be doing.  Once the newness wears off this moment of inspiration they scatter and flee as if they were never here. 

Volunteers get profiled.  Value is taken away from incentive.  Naive suburban kids are scorned for giving a damn about their peers in different circumstances.  The witty & underprivileged get punished for acknowledgement. 

Oh, there's only you 3 interested in showing up?  They must think they can do my job. Guess I got to look their people up and ask some questions.  Put some barriers up so they don't think they can just show up and start taking charge.     

Let me be clear.  I'm no entertainer. Not dying to expose your lack of job satisfaction either.  I'm not currently in a position to make generous financial contributions and don't have the most stable bridge of personal or professional character references for you to check.  I still flake out over neutrality and great expectations. 

Rereading and watching this brief interview I recorded a couple years ago.  

Here